January 7, 2012

My parents are STILL on facebook.

Posted by Chandana at 12:00 PM

While the whole world has moved on from Facebook to twitter, there are some people who are still trying to get the hang of Facebook. Don't believe me? Read on!

I started using Facebook properly only in 2010. And by properly I mean stalking people, checking their 'exotic trip to the island' photos, trying to guess who her boyfriend was in the group photo, checking out her sari and makeup in her wedding photos (and bitching about it because I wasn't invited), secretly being jealous of all those who were vacationing in Greece and Swiss Alps and liking every damn thing in my path. Phew! Did I miss anything? No? Okay then!

Before all this, I only had an account, a dummy account. We had no access to internet in office and I worked close to 12 hours a day including weekends. We would spend hours in office making fun of "those people" who seemed to find it impossible to go about their day without sharing every second of their life on fb.. Updating their status messages every other second, posting photos everyday.. I thought I would never ever do that until i discovered it was only a lack of internet connection that was stopping me. So it was no surprise when I jumped onto the bandwagon with the rest of the guys.. it went on for a while.. was fun, entertaining, great way to catch up on gossip.. until.....

.... my parents ( read plural ) were on FB...

Initial shock led to some real good fun ( kidding!... about the shock part not the fun part )

Dad - What is this wall? What does wall mean? Hey is this your profile? Show me your friends list.. I want to see...what was that girl's name.. in school? That girl... who always got first rank..? Hey this guy is that guy.. he dint give those farewell photos.. that guy right?.. What was his name? Hey she looks the same! where is she now.. what is she doing? 
Who is this boy? Why is he commenting on your pics? Who is this boy? And this? Why are there so many boys? (By now I am pulling my hair out)

Okay okay no more boy questions but what is this wall? 

:|

Thats my dad - A hundred questions, no patience to wait for answers, and Me- no patience to answer.
But he got the hang of it pretty quick, his list of friends is increasing day by day and threatning to take over my number! Apart from ocassionally worrying and questioning me about some weird status message that I put up, my dad is a very cool friend to have on my list. Much much better than my mom.

Ok here we go. Mom. On facebook. BIG mistake.

1. She forgets the id with which she should login. Reason being she has so many accounts. (one yahoo + one gmail = too many to remember)
2. The moment she logs in, she'll call me, and the doubts begin.
    "Ok last time. now tell me.... how do I go to my wall?"
    "Is this my wall or your wall?"
    "If I am on my wall, why am I seeing your updates?"
    "But I see your updates on your wall also!" 
    "How do i post on your wall? (grinning) I used the right word na.. posting na.. correct?"
    
Just break the damn wall already! 

    (shouting from the hall.. and am in my room)
mom - ok after commenting, what am I supposed to do?
me - (confused irritated expression) what do you mean? log off, browse, do whatever you want!
mom - I want to see the comment I put...
me - (grumble and get up) you are supposed to click on 'post comment'.. only then it will be posted na..  obvious na...
mom - ok where is it.. I cant see...
me - Mommmmm!!! scroll down!!!!
mom - ok ok dont shout.. ok done.. thats all..?

Trust me. She enjoys me screaming at her.

3. She has 11 friends. That includes all our family. 
4. She wants to learn to upload pictures.. it takes me 2 days to teach her after which she promptly forgets. And calls me when am on the way to a movie with doubts. I come home and end up selecting and uploading all the pics. ( Though I crib, we spend many happy hours wasting time together *grin* )
5. And as if to prove my point, she just called me and said "Hey it seems Uma aunty commented on some photos.. check and tell me.. and reply to them.. bye"

:|

So they are on Facebook. They are all over my blog. And now my mom wants to learn twitter. God save me!


16 comments:

Jasmine Dayal on January 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM said...

:) thank fully my parents are not on facebook and surprisingly they don't even want to learn how to operate it... It is my annoying sister who keeps on bugging me... and i always have the W*F expression on my face...:P

Hey i am new on DOV...

Priya Chilamkurthi on January 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM said...

Haha.. my dad recently opened his account and he is feeling scared to ask me questions..
He politely asks me if i have time to make an ISD call for an hour and teach him :)

Vinati on January 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM said...

Haha...You know what, I have a strikingly similar post saved in my drafts for like so many months. :P

And I go through almost all the things that you've mentioned. It gave me much relief to know that someone else's parents are also a part of the league. But actually, I haven't yet added my mom though the request is still pending. I would never even dare to.

And you should listen to this song: MY MOM'S ON FACEBOOK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QePidL750

This would explain my reason of not adding her, in a much better way. XD

sumitra on January 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM said...

Hillarious post! My mom annoys me too. But I keep escaping her all the time, haven't taught her yet :D

maithili on January 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM said...

"50% of the parents are on facebook, other 50% parents use lesser technological methods to embarass their kids" :D :D I read this status somewhere and it goes perfectly with the post :)

Smita on January 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM said...

Wow! You just poured out the usual story in every home these days, where parent stand at the back, question their kids, who are using facebook,twitter, blogger.com or anyother internet related stuff! It's just soooooooooooooooooooooo hard to make elderly understand the real concept and defination of things like tweets, wall, blog posts, and the comments section, let's just not talk about that!

Wonderfully written humorous of it's own type!
Keep going :)

Chandana on January 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM said...

@Jasmine-
I don't mind having my parents on facebook 'coz they don't pry at all. But my sister keeps annoying me!
Welcome to DOV. Looking forward to your posts :)

@Pria-
haha.. my dad gets scared too!

@Mirage-
I was laughing so hard at that song!
My mom's account is like my second account. She instructs and I login and operate :P

@Sumitra-
My mom keeps annoying me. I keep getting annoyed. And I keep teaching her the same thing again and again and again. And she promptly forgets!

@Maithili-
haha true! Parents!

@Smita-
I know! It hard for them to comprehend!

P!yu on January 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM said...

hahaha too gud,,,, your blog is nice.. loved it.. :P

http://cerebralrendezvous.blogspot.com/

Aditi Ray on January 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM said...

bwhahahahahaha.... that was hilarious!! xD
my dad too joined FB just a month ago..n its practically my acc with his name on it! :P

but the experience....! mahhnnn... its the same... *ditto* !!

thnkfully my mom is nt into FB n twitter! but yes she does the same thing while browsing! :P *grin*

cheers to the old gen fr gettin close to our gen!! :D :D

Nathism on January 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM said...

:)
Lovely post.

Keirthana on January 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM said...

After reading this, I am so thankful that my parents are not on FB. And I wont let them too if they want, now that I quit FB.

Had a fun time reading your post. The pic is classic :)

Khushboo W on January 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM said...

*high 5*
My parents are there as well! :|
and handling all those questions, uff! :P

But its fine, at the end of the day, nahi?! :D

Chandana on January 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM said...

@Piyu-
thanks!

@Aditi-
Yes.. its actually fun! Most of them are scared of having their parents on facebook but I actually enjoy it!

@Nathism-
Thanks!

@Keirthana-
Ohhh why so? Its fun!

@PaanipuriLover-
haha *high 5*
Its totally fine! :D

Anonymous said...

hahah..very funny..i liked it..!
lucky my parents are not on facebook..yet :P

L.Guruprasad on January 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM said...

"While the whole world has moved on from Facebook to twitter, there are some people who are still trying to get the hang of Facebook".

I don't think it is anywhere closer to the truth. There are still enough *******(lets use 'people' for euphemism) on Facebook and newbies who keep joining Facebook across all ages.

Chandana on January 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM said...

@Aatish -
Thanks! :))

@Guruprasad -
I think you totally missed the point of this post!
And the 'newbies who keep joining facebook across all ages' ARE THE ONES trying to get the hang of it.
Which was exactly what i said.

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates