September 7, 2015

The Affair

Posted by maithili at 11:18 AM
               "It's time" you whispered lightly into my ears.
                Spooning up against you, the feel of your lips on my earlobes, I felt my body shiver, goosebumps on my arms. You ran  your hand over my arms, soothing the excitement that I felt. I was waiting for more when you slipped out of the bed, scattering my desires into dust. Oh how I wanted you!

               I lay on bed, hoping that you would come back and start over again. But you didn't. I heard the shower running. A part of me wanted to join you and forget all about what lay ahead. But another part, the one that still had some respect, adamantly stayed still, wanting to be loved. You walked out, a towel wrapped around your waist, hair wet and water droplets on your body. I wanted to touch you, bury my head in your arms and take in the fragrance of your body. To feel alive, to reminisce how it felt the first time I hugged you. To be consumed in the fire of the passion I felt for you. You went about getting dressed, hardly noticing the emotions that were threatening to tear me apart.

              Reluctantly, I began to dress up for the day. No, I did not feel like taking a shower. You raised your eyebrow to show disdain for my choice. But it didn't matter. I was getting used to your disapproval. I did not want to go back where I had just imagine you naked. I did not want to go down that memory again, the one that spiraled me back every time I took a step forward. Of the numerous rendezvous that we had in that enclosed space, of the water running down our bodies as they became one.

              I picked up my bag, stuffing in the things that were lying around your place. I wondered if it occurred to you that you would never see them again. Then I thought, how does it matter!

             "What time is your flight?" you asked me. How could you not know? I wanted to shout!
             "10.30" I replied, gulping in the lump I felt in my throat.

             You sat back in the cab with me, not realizing how my body ached every time the cab took a turn and you bumped into me or your hand brushed against my thighs.

             "Good bye. Have a safe trip"  you told me at the departure gate.
              I had tears in my eyes but you looked away.

               I walked in the gate, not wanting to look back. But I did look back. Through the glass doors, I saw you zoom away. Not wasting a second after I left, you had hurriedly got into the cab and gone. Away from my life. Leaving me with a broken heart.

             I took off from the city that had showed me independence, from the city that had brought you and me together. Into another one, where I was destined to marry a stranger.

             I would never again experience a passion that made me go weak. That would make me blind to all reason. The way you awakened my demons and made me love them! The way you kept making me asking for more of you. The way you never truly gave in to me. The way you stirred my body. Then left it unwanted.

             But I am glad I looked back, that day at the airport. I saw a loser running away. It made it easier to move on knowing that you weren't waiting.

             Marrying a stranger was not what I had imagined.  Yet, on rainy nights when I cuddle next to him, he pulls me closer and makes me feel warm. He doesn't give me goosebumps, he gives me love. He doesn't make me ask for more, he keeps me happy and satisfied. Most importantly, when I cry he doesn't look away, he wipes my tears and makes me smile. You had my body, he has my soul. For that I am thankful to you. If it hadn't been for you, I would have never known what true love is! My affair with life begins now.

9 comments:

CookieCrumbsInc. on September 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM said...

Wow. Talk about strong women :)
She has her priorities right, this one *clap, clap*

Aditi Ray on September 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM said...

Wow.. I loved the end.
Beautifully written. <3

maithili on September 8, 2015 at 11:01 AM said...

@PeeVee: She did get blinded by lust but finally found her way :)
@Aditi Ray: Thank you so much. Sad things happen for a good reason :)

steveroni on September 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM said...

What a NEAT story! Usually I don't read past four or five lines, but this one grabbed...and the last lines were superb!

maithili on September 10, 2015 at 12:43 PM said...

@steveroni : Thank you for reading this story. It is indeed flattering. I haven't written a short fiction in a long while but your comment makes me feel happy that I finally wrote this one :)

smita on September 21, 2015 at 1:11 AM said...

Wow....every word of it..simply wow..I can quote a lot of sentences that I read again n again..😊

Gail on October 26, 2015 at 8:39 PM said...

"...and I tasted deceit..." one of my favorite lines. Well done.

Deepa on November 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM said...

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have read in a while

Anup on December 30, 2015 at 6:30 AM said...

Love is not riding the waves of unbridled passion together, but sitting on the soft grass and looking into each other's soul...Beautifully written..Kudos!

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates